Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thanks for giving

I know I have a lot to be thankful for. I can list them all off, if I focus on all the blessings I enjoy in my life. However, I often don't focus on the blessings. I fail to have an attitude of gratitude. It's easy to complain, about the weather, my son's messy room, hectic days, weeks that move too slowly when it's Tuesday, and weeks that went too fast by the time it's Friday, again. The fact is, if I have all those things in my life to complain about, I'm pretty lucky. I have health and strength, a healthy son, a devoted husband, a loving family, including my mother, now in her eighties. When I think about it like that, what DO I have to complain about, what reason to NOT be thankful? So I'll take this Thanksgiving weekend as an opportunity to be thankful for all the people who've blessed my life, right from childhood until now: The uncles who always made sure there was an extra card for every birthday, and an extra present under the Christmas tree. My brothers who always encouraged me along the way, whether it was by helping me with long division, or attending my high school graduation, or picking up for me when someone else was being unkind. My parents who believed in me no matter what, and demonstrated unconditional, self-sacrificing love. My friends, Paul and Esther, who told me about the love of our God, from which nothing can ever separate me. My friends, Donna & George and Vicki & Brandon, who saw me through some of my darkest days, and showed me "love in action" by being there for my son and I, when we were on our own. My husband, who loves me as I am, faults, frailties, weaknesses and all. My son, who gave me the best gift when he made me a Mom, and without whom I can't imagine my life anymore. And most of all, to God, who created me and gives me His peace which passes all understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment