Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Good news is the best news

In my line of work, no news is definitely not good news. As a reporter, I'm responsible to help fill a three-hour radio program each weekday. It's a great job, with lots of opportunity to be curious, meet new people, and share stories that affect people's lives. But a day with not much happening is definitely NOT a good thing. My personal life is a different story. I prefer the run-of-the-mill days when not too much noteworthy is going on. Just the precious moments of a mother and wife who loves her family, tries her best and treasures the time we have together. Although I'm a fanatic for staying "in the know", we don't take much time at home to watch the TV news and, when Noah's around, the radio's not on much either. At this time of year, it's a different type of news to which I try to turn my family's attention. It's the Good News of this Christmas season. It's not hard to get kids thinking about Christmas of course. But it's mostly that Santa is coming, and "What am I going to get?". I try my best to ensure my son knows that, as Christian believers, our Christmas is about more than just the secular and the consumerism. He drew a little book recently about a favorite Nintendo character of his, Toad (which is the stuffed toy he wants for Christmas). In the book, Toad is excited about Christmas but, in the end, knows the true meaning of Christmas, complete with a drawing of Toad at the manger scene, worshipping the baby Jesus! It's just one proof to me that Noah (and Toad!) "get" the true meaning of Christmas. As a reporter, I was trained that the focus of a story has to be "someone doing something for a reason." Well, what could fit that bill any better than Christmas? God sent Jesus to earth, not so we could spend the last few weeks of every year in a mad frenzy of spending and stressing out. The Creator sent His Son because He knew our weakness, how easily we succumb to the less worthy pursuits of this life, and how we really all need to be saved from the worst that is in us. Some people will call that religious hype, brainwashing or indoctrination. I call it Good News.

No comments:

Post a Comment