Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hold it high

The Olympic torch relay is passing through our province over the next week. Successive runners will take their turns, lifting high that torch, running with it, and then passing it on. The torch symbolizes all that is good about the Olympics, celebrating friendship and peace. How fitting that the torch is here in Newfoundland and Labrador around Remembrance Day, when we celebrate and remember those who died for peace. I recall the words of Colonel John McCrae, who wrote: "To you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high." The torch of fighting for peace has passed to a younger generation now, just as McCrae had hoped.

This past Sunday, my church marked Remembrance Day. As we observed two minutes of silence, we were given a visible reminder of how many lives have been lost in the war in Afghanistan, as the names of Canada's 133 fallen soldiers scrolled on a screen in front of us. Oh my, how long the list seemed to be. Since I've become a mother, my thoughts always go to all those mothers who won't see their sons or daughters again. I'm not in favor of or opposed to this war our soldiers are fighting. I don't think I've earned a right to that opinion. But I know the young men and women who are overseas right now deserve our support. Our cheers for them ought to spring forth as freely as they will for those Olympic torchbearers this week.

The sermon in our church this week wasn't about Olympic torches or Canada's current war, but I found an interesting parallel. It was based on Exodus 17, which gives an account of a battle the Israelites were engaged in against the Amalekites. Joshua led the battle on the frontlines, but the Biblical account of the battle indicates that Moses and two other men played an equally important role. Moses held his staff high with both arms in the air. That sounds like a cheering posture to me. As long as Moses held his arms up, the Israelites experienced victory in the battle. But when his strength failed, and he lowered his arms, the enemy would gain the upper hand. Two other men, Aaron and Hur, were instrumental in ensuring that the Israelites continued to be victorious. Did they rush out and challenge the enemy directly? Did they sign up for combat training? No, they simply held up Moses' arms. And the Israelites won the battle against the Amalekites.

The officer who gave last week's sermon said Moses' actions were symbolic of his role as an intercessor, doing something as simple as praying for someone else. I believe we also have a role to play in supporting those around us in winning their daily battles. They may be soldiers in a far-off war. They may be co-workers struggling with issues of their own. They may be family members suffering from loneliness. Even though I'm not an Olympic torchbearer, I can accept this torch and help hold up those around me. If they falter and stumble and I don't do my part to help, in prayer or otherwise, I can't blame it on someone else. I was there, I knew the need, and I did nothing. So I'll raise up my arms (sometimes literally) and cheer for those whose own private war may be just getting through the day. You go! And I'm behind you all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment